For small business owners, email rates as the top software tool (47%) for running their business, followed by financial management software (29%), according to a Staples’ study of 510 small business owners conducted online by Harris Poll during late summer 2014. Additionally, the survey shows the importance of technology to small businesses of all kinds.
“More than ever, small businesses rely on technology to make more happen every day,” said Alison Corcoran, senior vice president, North American stores and online, Staples. “Staples offers an expanded assortment of the latest technology products in store and online, as well as Staples EasyTech™ services to help our small business customers so they can focus on running their business.”
The survey also shows that this is a crucial season for small businesses, with 62 percent looking forward to fall as the start of the holiday. Overall, about a third (31%) plan to invest in online marketing this fall.
Additional facts revealed in the Staples Small Business Owners Survey include:
- Drive profits: Small business owners want to improve business by increasing promotional marketing (26%), developing social media (21%) and managing inventory better (14%).
- Technology focus: 71% of small business owners say the computer is the most crucial piece of office equipment.
- Everyday focus: 63% of small business owners don’t have a five-year plan.
- Buying decisions: 96% of small business owners are involved in purchasing products for their business.
- Omnichannel shoppers: More than half (53%) of small business owners use the convenience of shopping both channels, with 82% shopping in store and 66% shopping online.
- More efficient: Small business owners plan to “get smart” increase efficiency this fall by focusing on marketing and advertising (28%), cash flow management (26%) and social media use (26%).
- Fall clean-up: 56% of small business owners actually plan a fall clean-up.
To help small business customers prepare for the busy fall and holiday seasons, Staples is celebrating small businesses throughout October with special savings and business tips. For small business expert tips and details on savings visit: http://www.staples.com/Small-Business-Main/cat_BI823623
This Staples SBO Success survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Duffy & Shanley and their client Staples, between August 26 – September 2, 2014 among 510 U.S. small business owners, in each of the 4 regions (East, Midwest, South, and West). This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.
Staples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples lets customers shop however and whenever they want, whether it’s in-store, online, on mobile devices, or through the company’s innovative buy online, pick-up in store option. Staples offers more products than ever, such as technology, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, safety supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.