Since Metropolitan Market launched its first store as Queen Anne Thriftway back in 1971, the independent grocer has sought to serve, educate and celebrate its loyal community. June 2011 marks its 40th birthday, and to commemorate, Metropolitan Market is perpetuating the party all month long with events, giveaways and gourmet tastings for the community!
Visit any of the six Metropolitan Market locations in Puget Sound from June 1 – July 2 to find fun for all ages. Events include wine tasting with food pairings, Cupcake Royale Sprinkle Party for kids (and grown-ups, let’s be honest), cheese classes, cookbook signings and more than 700 tastings, culminating in an Independence Day BBQ at multiple locations on July 2. In addition to dispensing historical trivia and nightly giveaways, the team at Metropolitan Market has some top-secret surprises in store for unsuspecting shoppers and event-attendees.
“Metropolitan Market has always been centered around product leadership, our great customers and team members willing to do whatever it takes,” said Terry Halverson, Metropolitan Market chief executive officer. “We made it to 40 years by being relentless on finding the best tasting products, whether from local vendor partners, farms or going wherever – to the ends of the earth.”
The first grocer to introduce Copper River Salmon, locally baked artisan breads and just-picked luscious strawberries from Vashon Island to the region, Metropolitan Market continues to be the first to offer the best. By featuring fresh, local, organic and hard-to-find items, the award-winning market transforms everyday grocery shopping into an invigorating experience.
For locations and complete event information, visit www.metropolitan-market.com. For the latest in 40th birthday festivities, follow Metropolitan Market’s Twitter, hashtag #MetMarket40. For interviews, please contact Tamara Wilson at 206-409-6735 or Torie McIntyre at 206-838-8977.
Kirkland Event Schedule:
- 6/9 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Metropolitan Market 40th Birthday Wine Tasting Event
- 6/14 3 p.m. – 7 p.m. Celebrity Cake Studio featuring Odette, owner
- 6/18 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. Becky Selengut Good Fish Book Signing
- 6/23 3 p.m. – 7 p.m. Dry Soda Taste Tour
- 6/24 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Deli Challenge hosted by Dietz & Watson
- 6/24 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. Amy Pennington Urban Pantry Book Signing
- 6/25 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. Cupcake Royale Sprinkle Party for Kids
- 6/30 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Metropolitan Market 40th Birthday Wine Tasting Event
- 7/2 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Independence Day BBQ