The 23nd annual Auction of Washington Wines, culminating August 19-21 in Woodinville, WA, at Chateau Ste. Michelle, raised $1.4 million for uncompensated care at Seattle Children’s Hospital and the Washington Wine Education Foundation.
“We are very pleased with this year’s results. Our donors and patrons are committed to supporting Seattle Children’s and continue to demonstrate their loyalty through our events.” said Auction of Washington Wines Executive Director Carol Munro.
Thursday’s Barrel Auction and Picnic with the Winemakers raised more than $60,000 through Picnic games, a silent auction, and the exciting Barrel Auction. Nearly 500 wine lovers attended 13 winemaker dinners on Friday evening around the greater Seattle area, raising $40,000 for the Auction’s charities. In its second year, Revelry on Red Mountain, at Col Solare winery near Benton City raised an impressive $16,000. The Auction of Washington Wines was also honored to be the beneficiary to Vintage Walla Walla, which donated $5,000 to the Auction. And the Covey Run 5K and 10K Run/Walk raised $135,000 – $20,000 over last year’s earnings.
Rick Small, this year’s Auction co-chair and owner of Woodward Canyon Winery commented, “Darcey and I were honored this year to serve as co-chairs for the Auction and witness the incredible generosity of Washington winemakers, growers, and the wine-loving community in helping to raise these much needed funds for Seattle Children’s Hospital and the Washington Wine Education Foundation.”
Some of the top auction items included:
- Raise your Paddle for Seattle Children’s Hospital – nearly $400,000
- Picnic Barrel Auction proceeds – $61,000
- DeLille Cellars 192 Bottle Vertical Collection – $19,000
- Columbia Crest #1 Wine in 2009 lot – $14,000
- 27-year Vertical of Woodward Canyon wines- $11,000
- Sommelier Instant Gratification – three different sommeliers auctioned for a total of $14,300
- Two Large Formats of DeLille Cellars – sold twice at $12,000 for a total of $24,000